Tuesday, May 14

A Nurse; your Trusted Technical Advisor

For the first time in my Call center working experience, I felt something to a customer- the feeling of compassion, the willingness to fully satisfy a customer and to meet not only her business needs but as well as her yearning for someone to talk to about her health condition and holistic being. For a moment there, I forgot about my time constraints- I deviated from the main subject of that transaction; I allowed myself to wander around things that are beyond my scope as a Technical Adviser. The customer called in to ask for assistance with regard to her internet connection, but for almost an hour, we talked about her Fibromyalgia, her compacted vertebral discs, her Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, her Diabetes, her End-Stage Renal Disease and her Hemodialysis sessions. I ended up telling her that I'm a nurse and I'm more than willing to consume my time unnecessarily if she would want to discuss about her health.


In the end, I wasn't able to resolve her Internet issue but she was beyond thankful and she cried out of gratitude that somebody cared to listen and consider her as a person, and not just a customer. For a moment there, I neglected my responsibility as a Technical Advisor and started to become a health counselor, a friend and a nurse over the phone. Though I failed in resolving her Internet issues, but I felt satisfied. I realized that despite me turning my back on my profession,- the gift of compassion, care, and humanitarian concern was still there deep inside (which I thought have long been gone). 

That call may have murdered my performance metrics and may cause me to fail my evaluation and probably lose my job, but SO WHAT!!! Afterall, that's the main essence of customer service, right? Giving them the opportunity to feel that they are not just customers, they are people.

#Before that Call ended, the customer asked for a supervisor and that became a KUDOS call in the end. 

#I am Huemer, your nurse, and your trusted technical adviser over the Phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment